On April 20, 2017, the EBR School Board unanimously approved FLAIM’s move to the former Valley Park campus at 4510 Bawell Street in fall 2018.
On March 15, 2018, the EBR School Board unanimously approved funding for renovations to the Valley Park School site at 4510 Bawell St. The new home of FLAIM Elementary in August 2018. Renovations include
- Millwork in classrooms
- New restrooms for K wing
- New perimeter fence
- New FLAIM sign
- New Playground Equipment
- Repaired/replaced damaged sidewalks
On May 17, 2018, the Louisiana State legislature just passed HB 796. As part of this bill, an amendment to the bill that waives some of the certification requirements for teachers at State Certified World Language Immersion schools. It means that East Baton Rouge Parish Schools can now employ our foreign language immersion teachers as full-time teachers (and not long-term subs) without the traditional certification requirements, such as passing the PRAXIS examination.
In 2016, FLAIM was on two campuses:
- FLAIM Primary: Kindergarten, 1st and 2nd Grades for Mandarin, Spanish and French located at 8020 Mayflower St.
- FLAIM Intermediate: 3rd, 4th, 5th grades for Mandarin, Spanish and French and Pre-K located at 408 East Polk St.
FLAIM's Facility Challenges: A Brief History
Since the inception of the foreign language immersion program at FLAIM, there have always been two major concerns among the FLAIM community:
- The generally poor state of the Mayflower Street facility
- The fact that, beyond the 12 classrooms (and T-buildings) at Mayflower, there is no additional room or path for growth. And, because of how we 'float' an ELA teacher, any future growth would need 24 classrooms
Click below to read a brief history of the options and challenges FLAIM has had over the past 10 years.
New Campus: Valley Park
By 2017, the faculty and parents knew that the two campus temporary solution needed to be just that: temporary. The issues that the two campus system faced before persisted and were almost worst because the upper grades knew what they were missing. A new solution had to be found quickly.
In May 2017, we secured the support among the school system to move FLAIM to Valley Park in August 2018 (when Broadmoor Elementary moved to its new home).
To read a brief history of the Valley Park site conditions and testing over the past 40 years,